Monday, April 4, 2016

Since the doubts of Steve Jobs to its original look: The secrets behind the iPhone – Economy and Business online

Andy Grignon not imagine that the device he was working as the staff of Apple engineers end become one of the most influential inventions of recent times. It was 2004, and he was only interested in the prototype of this new “phone” worked perfectly. IPhone would end up coming to market in 2007 there were just a few sketches.

From his home in California, this former employee of Apple and one of the few who were directly involved with Steve Jobs in the manufacture of the first iPhone remembers how were those days, for over a decade, which only served phones for voice calls. “We started toying around with the idea of ​​what would be the iPhone in 2003, but took much the executive team convince Steve to give green light to the project. Some begin prototyping in 2004, and build exactly what people would have expected at that time: the functionalities of a phone assembled an iPod, “recalls the developer, who will visit Chile to attend the meeting MeetLatam BBVA-” El Mercurio “, to be held on 21 April at the hotel W.

Grignon recalls that in those early sketches, on the device it was used “click wheel” a couple of years before had revolutionized the music industry on the iPod, but now applied to a phone. Then the touch screen was still an illusion, so that the apparatus worked with a complex lighting system and controls that allow move from phone function to the player. “If you called or mandabas messages, you had to use that interface, and I must admit it was so awful to use as it sounds. Eventually we came up with the design that finally built,” recalls Grignon.

after leaving the company bite the apple in 2007, this developer emigrated to Palm, where he worked on what later became the webOS operating system. After that founded Quake Labs, and joined as a partner to Siberia, two companies linked to the world of applications and technological developments. Today, he says the next big revolution in gadgets comes on the side of virtual reality. “I’ve seen some technologies that have not been announced yet and they are really amazing,” he adds.

‘In the time of the first iPhone knew he was working on a product that would have a global impact?

“I do not think any of us have given us realize the impact of what we were building … it was just another device. what I do remember was the moment when I realized how useful it could be. in that then, if one did not know where he had to go, getting an address on MapQuest, or whatever, and printed. I forgot to do all that once and remembered I had my prototype phone in the car. Standing in a stoplight, I guglee directions, and then I realized how cool it was this new thing I had. “

‘you had the opportunity to work with Steve Jobs. How was your relationship with him?

“I had the ‘opportunity’ to work for Steve-definitely not with him, as there was a hierarchy very clearly, which began when I was developing in MacOSX. In that time had just passed me to work on a lot of projects that mattered to him, so my relationship with him progressed to the exchange of ideas, go home to help with problems I had and finally the construction of the phone. “

” Our last meeting was after we ship the iPhone, since I decided to follow my old boss, Jon Rubinstein, Palm. He learned of my resignation, and called me to his office. those were probably the most uncomfortable 45 minutes of my professional life … He went from ‘what is needed to keep you company?’, to issue threats about what would happen if he tried to take someone with me. so the memories that I have of him, usually, would be classified as “stressful” and occasionally ‘euphoric’, which was when he gave me a compliment. “

-Apple just launched an iPhone smaller, and there are doubts about the success of the smartwatch. What do you think about the new direction of Apple?

“I must say I’m a little disappointed, but I still hope that there is something bigger and better to come. I know it’s difficult to consistently hit with something bigger and better, but we must also recognize that there have been some failures that seem out of place for them. I generated enough noise about the Apple Watch and how it was not really what I expected. “

. “I follow you using every day, but especially for ideas to make it better the reason I left Apple to Palm was because I knew what was coming: years of iteration rather than innovate.”

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment